This book provides students with an in-depth understanding of the concepts, frameworks and processes used to analyze and present visual data for better decision-making. Expert contributors provide guidance in translating complex concepts from large data sets and how this translation drives management practice.
The book’s first part provides a descriptive consideration of state-of-the-art science in visual design. The second part complements the first with a rich set of cases and visual examples, illustrating development and best practice to provide students with real-world context. Through their presentation of modern scientific principles, the editors inspire structured discussions of audience and design, recognizing differences in need, bias and effective processes across contexts and stakeholders.
This cutting-edge resource will be of value to students in business analytics, business communication and management science classes, who will learn to be capable managers through the effective and direct visual communication of data. Researchers and practitioners will also find this an engaging and informative book.
Table of Contents
List of Figure
List of Table
List of Contributors
Part I: The Science of the Art
- Incomplete Pictures
- Coping with Haystacks
- Best Practices in Visual Design
- Sustaining Collective Sensemaking in Teams: Five Patterns of Interaction
- Processing Data for Visual Network Analysis
- Visualizing a Real-world Sales Pipeline Process
- Framing Wicked Problems Using Co-design and a Hybrid Design Toolset
- Visual Support for Complex Repair Operations in a Global Aerospace Company
- Point-of-Care Electronic Health Record-Based Visualization Tools
- Optimization, Visualization and Data Mapping for HVAC Product Distribution
- The Long Way to Intuitive Visual Analysis of Air Traffic Control Data
- Data Visualization in History
- An Energy Information System to Conserve Electricity in Campus Buildings
Part II: Applied Cases
Elliot Bendoly is the 2015 Academy of Management’s Operations Management Division Distinguished Scholar and a Full Professor in the Fisher College of Business at Ohio State University, USA.
Sacha Clark is the founder of Mulsanne Management, USA, a firm that assists clients with business strategy development and implementation, productivity enhancement and technology exploitation, and change and transformation management. He has worked with leading companies such as FedEx, General Motors, IBM, Mitsubishi, Procter & Gamble, Pennzoil, Shell, Samsung and WestPac.
Featured Author Profiles
"In no other source will you find so much helpful knowledge and so many examples of the psychological and decision-making context behind visual representations of data. Serious visual analytics professionals need to be aware of and address these issues if they wish to be effective."
Thomas H. Davenport, Babson College, USA
"We are at an inflection point in management reporting where the volume and velocity of data has overwhelmed traditional reporting techniques. This book provides the frameworks and case studies to turn management dashboards into actionable decision tools."
John L Merino, Corporate Vice President and Chief Accounting Officer, FedEx Corporation, USA