Learn how to assess students in a way that truly impacts learning. In Rigor and Assessment in the Classroom, bestselling author Barbara R. Blackburn provides a broad range of practical strategies for increasing the rigor and usefulness of your formative and summative assessments. You’ll discover how to…
- Create an environment where students are expected to learn at high levels;
- Evaluate and check student learning in a way that ensures growth;
- Strengthen the validity and reliability of your assessments;
- Plan assessments in conjunction with planning the instruction;
- Differentiate assessments to increase the rigor for all students;
- Enhance the effectiveness of your grading system and feedback;
- Use performance-based assessment to enhance rigor; and
- Design clear, reader-friendly rubrics and scoring guides.
Each chapter includes ready-to-use tools, examples across the subject areas, and "Think About It" questions to help you reflect on what you’ve read. Many of the tools are also offered as free eResources at www.routledge.com/9781138936140, so you can easily print and distribute them for classroom use.
Table of Contents
Meet the Author
Chapter 1: Best Practices in Rigor and Assessment
Chapter 2: Planning for Rigorous Assessments
Chapter 3: Linking Instruction and Assessment to Improve Rigor
Chapter 4: Formative Assessment for Rigor
Chapter 5: Rigorous Summative Assessments
Chapter 6: Performance-Based Assessments Enhance Rigor
Chapter 7: Differentiated Assessments to Increase Rigor for All Students
Chapter 8: Grading in a Rigorous Classroom
Chapter 9: The Critical Role of Feedback in the Rigorous Classroom
Chapter 10: Working Together to Improve Assessment in Rigorous Classrooms
Dr. Barbara R. Blackburn is the bestselling author of sixteen books and is a sought-after consultant (www.barbarablackburnonline.com). She was an award-winning professor at Winthrop University and has taught students of all ages.
Featured Author Profiles
"This excellent book is sure to provide guidance to PLC groups wanting to focus on improved use and understanding of assessment as it relates to raising the level of rigor. Blackburn offers practical ideas that all principals need to firm up their basic knowledge of assessment, and to lead successful discussions with their staff. The book also equips teachers with a good foundation of assessment, reminding them of what rigor is and what rigor isn’t."
– Susan Gorman, Director of Student Improvement, Osawatomie USD 367, KS
"Since the term ‘rigor’ is an integral part of the teaching and learning fabric, this book’s concrete explanation of what rigor in assessment actually means will benefit all teachers, school leaders and district leaders."
– Nikki Mouton, Executive Director of Curriculum and Instruction, Gwinnett County Public Schools, GA
"Barbara Blackburn consistently drives home the need for increased rigor in our schools. In her latest book on rigor and assessment, she gives practical advice and strategies to which teachers understand and relate. I am thankful for her work on rigor and the difference it is made in my district. Thank you, Barbara."
--Dr. Karen Hickman, Deputy Superintendent of Academic Achievement, Pasadena ISD, TX