This book provides opportunities for older and younger children in different grades to work together on standards-based activities. It contains over 40 lessons in which elementary school students of different ages can learn together. Each activity can be assigned as a special project or as part of an organized program in which teachers work together on a regular basis. For each activity, you will be provided with:
- standards -- reading, writing, or mathematics
- assessment rubrics
- student handouts, ready for photocopying
- to help you assess your students objectively and confidently, about a quarter of the lessons are accompanied by samples of student work along with its score and an explanation of why the work deserved that score.
Table of Contents
- The Importance of Partnerships for Children and Teachers
The Benefits for Children - The Benefits for Teachers - Meeting Student Needs - Training the Buddies - Implementation
- Assessing for Student Understanding
- Reading Activities
Includes Character Cube - Mapping a Story - Personal Dictionary - Story Brief . . .
- Writing Activities
Includes Buddy Couplets - Dear Buddy Letter - Interview - Name Poem - Story Strip . . .
- Mathematics Activities
Includes Birthday Cake Graph - Guessing About Capacity - Paper Quilts
- Snowflake Symmetry . . .