A History of Africa is a thorough narrative history of the continent from its beginnings to the twenty-first century. Long established at the forefront of African Studies, this book addresses the events of the 1990s and beyond.
The issues discussed include:
- post-apartheid South Africa
- the prospects for democratization in Africa at the beginning of the new millennium
- developments in Muslim North Africa including the threat of Islamic fundamentalism
- economic and social developments including the devastating impact of Third World debt and the provision of debt relief
- cultural, environmental and gender issues in Modern Africa.
Table of Contents
Part 1: The Internal Development of African Society Part 2: The Impact of Islam Part 3: Africa in the Age of European Expansion Part 4: Africa in the Modern World
'One of the best single volume treatments.' - Times Educational Supplement